Health Care Reform & the Supreme Court Decision Webinar Highlights
What I learned from today’s Health Care Reform & the Supreme Court Decision webinar by @DrinkerHealthGR
- Supreme Court ruled Individual Mandate as constitutional.
- Taxes will rise for both employers and consumers to help pay for the Healthcare Reform. I.e. excise tax, sales tax on medical device sales, investment income tax, Cadillac tax, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Trust Fund Fee, etc.
- Medicaid will expand in 2014 to cover all individuals under 65 with incomes up to 133% of the Federal Poverty Level (States may opt out).
- Total Medicaid spending will reach $800 Billion and cover 17 million people if all States opt-in.
- Access to coverage is uncertain for individuals whose incomes are between the Medicaid income threshold and the State Exchange Subsidies eligibility levels.
- Wellness program incentives offered by employers will become more generous.
- Some employers may simply drop coverage and pay the penalty, but it is too soon to tell.
- Employers will have to prepare and distribute Summary of Benefits & Coverage disclosures to their employees with specific guidelines.